What is Upper GI (Gastrointestinal) Surgery?
The specialty of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery incorporates treatment for conditions of the oesophagus, stomach, upper part of the small intestine including the Pancreas gland. These include conditions such as:
- Helicobacter infection, a bacteria found in the stomach, thought to be harmful
- Cancer of the oesophagus and stomach
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD)
- Hiatus hernia
- Barretts oesophagus (a condition where the lining of the oesophagus undergoes transformation to that of the stomach or bowel, a precancerous condition)
- Peptic ulcer disease.
- IPMN (intaductal papillary mucinous neoplasms)
- Pancreatic cancer
Weight Loss procedures are also considered to be part of the Upper GI surgical specialty. These include:
- Lap Band
- Gastric Sleeve (Laparoscopic and Robotic)
- Gastric Bypass and Mini-Bypass (Laparoscopic and Robotic)
- ORBERA® Gastric Balloon
Our surgeon Mr Kiron Bhatia is a General Surgeon with a specialty in Upper GI surgery. Our Dietitians and Psychologist are also trained and skilled at dealing with patients about to undergo surgery where removal of the oesophagus, stomach and pancreas are indicated such as cancer. In addition, our Psychologist can be of great assistance in providing support for patients with cancer and their families.
Please understand that the information that is provided on this website is to serve as a guide only. This does, by no means, negate or alter the need for a full individual consultation and medical assessment.